Posts Tagged ‘Marketing Social’
Gary Vaynerchuck explains why he said “99.5% of social media experts are clowns” and why I agree with him.
Like Gary I see lots of small business owners hiring people to ‘do’ their social media for them or advise them on how to use Twitter, Facebook etc without having any idea or track record on how to grow a business.
Social media is only a part (an increasingly important part) of how to grow a business and can’t be ‘done’ in isolation. Unfortunately it is the latest bandwaggon for people who can talk the talk but have never walked the walk and it is muddying the waters for the genuine folk who really can help businesses to take advantage of this amazing opportunity.
If you are thinking of hiring someone to help you with social media, please check out their track record in growing businesses, including their own, which should be more than just being a social media advisor.
There is no quick fix and definitely not any ‘one size fits all’ solutions so if you are going to spend money, make sure you hire one of the 0.5% who understand what YOUR business needs. Its not about the technology!
Things to check:
What’s their track record in business (other than being a SoMe Guru)?
What do their own social media accounts show? Are they walking the walk or just talking the talk?
Do they have marketing experience? Social Media is primarily a marketing activity not a sales activity.
Anyone can get huge numbers of followers, connections and ‘likes’ but are they your target audience?
Do they understand PR? Will they make you proud of your on-line presence?
Do they write well? Good grammar and spelling are essential – even in a tweet.
Are they excellent communicators? Social media shows up poor communication fast and to many more people.
Do they understand engagement? Social media is not a broadcast platform.
Do they understand the importance of listening and responding?
Do they understand why automation has more drawbacks than advantages?
There are some excellent people who will give good advice on the best way to use Social Media and lots and lots of really good free advice on line. If you need help, give us a call and we’ll be glad to recommend some.
- What is Mentoring?
- You can’t grow a business by yourself
- Social networking v social media marketing
- Why blogs are great for small businesses
- The Dragons Den’s Newest Stars
- How well connected are you?
- Can you use “Made in Britain”?
- How are you using your content?
- Who is spending your time?
- There is no ‘Law of Attraction’
- The only time management tip you’ll ever need
- Why LinkedIn is the Most Important Site for your Business
- Thoughts become things – choosing the good ones
- Is Mary Portas bottom line in the red?
- The holes in Mary Portas’ knickers
- Networking – time to move on.
- Cupping, or how to break into a conversation
- What ‘s the most innovative way to use a great testimonial?
- Steps to Success 2: How does our self belief affect our chances of success?
- Steps to Success 1: Desire is the starting point
- May 2013
- January 2013
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- September 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009